The roof is an important, if not the most important, part of your home. It helps keep the elements out and keeps your home insulated. This has the welcome effect of improving your home’s energy efficiency. To enjoy all the benefits that come with a good roof, you must maintain it and part of that involves scheduling a professional roof inspection periodically to ensure that it’s still in good working order.
Getting your roof inspected, along with other roofing services is not an everyday occurrence. Perhaps winter is coming up and you want to make sure your roof is in good condition. Or maybe a storm blew over town and your roof sustained damage, necessitating some roof work. Regardless of how it happened, you now find yourself looking for a roofer to inspect or fix your roof.
So how much do you pay the roofer for their services?
You need to know how much roofing services cost so you don’t get scammed, conned, or overcharged by unscrupulous roofers. Doing your due diligence will give you an idea of how much it would cost to have a roofing professional come over for a service call. This will also help you budget for future repair work.
How Much Do Roofers Charge?
How much a roofer charges per roofing square varies. Most roofing professionals choose to charge by the hour and you can expect to pay anywhere from $50-$80 on average. This, of course, varies and depends on the following:
- Where you live. The further a roofer has to travel, the more likely their costs are going to increase. You also have to factor in the cost of transporting labor and roofing materials to your home.
- The age and condition of your roof. Generally, a newer roof requires less maintenance and upkeep than an old one. The older a roof is, the harder it is to keep doing repairs without causing further damage.
- Ease of access to your roof. The shape and accessibility of your roof matter. Again, you not only have to consider the roofer getting up and down from the roof, but also taking up whatever materials they need to get the job done.
- The type of job and how long it’ll take to do it. The more complex the roofing job is, the more time it’s likely to take and the more expensive it’s going to be. For instance, minor roofing repairs cost less than replacing the entire roof.
- The type of roofing material being used. E.g. clay tiles, cedar or asphalt shingles, metal panels, etc. Keep in mind some roofing materials are cheaper than others and this will affect the overall cost of the job.
- Whether or not scaffolding is required. The use of scaffolding significantly increases how much the roofer will charge you.
Keeping Roofing Costs Down
You may not be able to avoid getting roofing services done, but there are ways to keep the costs down.
1. Choose a trusted roofer.
Whether it’s for a simple job like clearing the gutters to something more complex like repairing leaks, always ensure that you hire a trusted roofer. A trusted roofing professional won’t exaggerate the work that needs to be done on your roof, won’t delay work to extend billable hours, and won’t take any shortcuts.
To decide whether the roofer is trustworthy or not, ask them for references. If they provide names and numbers of previous clients, call them up and hear what they have to say about the roofer’s services. You can also check their website for reviews and testimonials from former clients.
2. Watch for hidden costs.
Things such as access to the roof or waste disposal after the roofing job can push up costs. Seek clarification and ask questions beforehand to avoid any surprises.
3. Select the right materials.
A good roofer will recommend the right materials for your roof. While some materials are cheaper than others, it doesn’t mean that they’re better. Be careful when making your selection and consider factors such as durability.
4. Know what is included in the quote.
Once you receive your quote, make sure you seek clarification on anything you’re unsure about. For instance, who will supply the equipment and materials, who is in charge of clean up after the job is done, etc.
5. Go with a local roofing company.
In many cases, working with a local roofing company can help keep costs down. For starters, they won’t have to travel far to your house. Additionally, they’re likely to be more knowledgeable about the materials you need, roofing codes and regulations for the area, the weather, etc., and can save you money in future repairs. It’s also easy to get and cross-check their referrals.
6. Communicate with the roofer.
Finally, ensure the roofer you choose is available to answer questions. Should an issue arise, bring it to their attention and work it out promptly to avoid wasting time. It also helps to clarify what your role is and what they expect from you as work is being done on your roof.
Excellent Roofing Services in Georgia
Roofs do not last forever. They get worn out and damaged. However, this should not be a reason to panic. With the right roofing company, roofing repairs and other work done on your roof should not break your wallet.
At Christian Brothers Roofing, we take pride in providing a variety of roofing services at an affordable cost in Georgia. To ensure your roof is sound, we carry out a thorough inspection and can also conduct roofing repairs and a complete replacement if one is necessary.
We love being part of the community and our team of roofing professionals delights in providing excellent services for all our clients, regardless of the type of roofing work. Outstanding customer service is at the heart of what we do and our satisfied clients speak to the quality of our work.
So call us today to learn how we can solve your roofing problems.