If you have a home of your own, you’re going to want to maintain its gutter system. A clean and functioning gutter system is important for so much more than aesthetic reasons alone. Gutters have a highly functional purpose that is essential for keeping your property structurally sound and maintaining its safety, as well as its value. Contractors install a gutter system on all new homes to ensure that rain and storm water is guided off the roof and away from the foundation of the property. This prevents water logging and consequent water damage.
Of course, maintaining your gutters is going to prove much lower cost than having to repair your entire property’s foundations in years to come, so what can you do to make sure that your gutters remain clean and in good shape? Here are some suggestions that can help you along the way.
Leave It To Us
The easiest, most straightforward and most effective way to clean and maintain your gutters is to leave the hard work to us. Here at Christian Brothers Roofing, we are experts in everything to do with gutters. We have extensive experience in everything from residential to commercial properties. Rather than having to learn how to clear and maintain your gutters yourself, we have the knowledge, skills and tools it takes to maintain your gutters perfectly. We recommended that you clear your gutters twice a year, preferably in spring and fall, when more debris tends to build up.
DIY – Clean Roof Gutters
Of course, we recommend leaving gutter maintenance in the hands of professionals – especially if you don’t have experience on ladders and are unsure what to do. Cleaning gutters can be a dangerous job and you will likely require support and training to get it right. However, if you do want to take a DIY approach and have someone on hand to help with the ladders, it is possible to do this yourself.
- Make sure you have the right equipment. You will need a sturdy, extendable ladder that allows you to reach your gutters without stretching. You will also need to ensure that the ground in the area you’re placing the ladder is sturdy, level and free of debris. You may also want to invest in a ladder stabilizer, as well as having someone reliable on hand to help.
- Make sure you have the right clothing. We recommend wearing a long-sleeved shirt, work pants and rubber gloves. Your clothing shouldn’t be too loose, as this can catch on things and cause you to lose balance.
- Use a plastic shovel or scoop to carefully remove gunk and debris from the guttering. You should have a waste bag at hand to put this in.
- We also recommend spreading tarpaulin below where you’re working, to catch any gunk or debris that falls. This will make cleaning up after easier.
- If you have a garden hose or watering can, you may want to use this to flush the gutters with fresh, clean water once they are clear. This will help to wash away remaining gunk or smaller pieces of debris.
- Keep an eye out for any leaks. While you are flushing out your gutters with water, you may spot areas that require repair. If this is the case, get in touch with us and we’ll be able to help further.
- You should also keep an eye out for any sagging areas. If you spot any, make sure to use a gutter hanger, which will help to give your gutters extra support during times they are under pressure, such as storms.
- Check in on your gutters after storms and during the winter months. These are times where your gutters will be working hard. You need to make sure that they are functioning properly at these peak times and that any required repairs are carried out.
Why Choose Us To Help Maintain Roof Gutters?
While you can clear and maintain your gutters yourself, using our services will give you peace of mind, guaranteeing that your gutters are in a good state of repair. We have a host of happy customers behind us, who will vouch for our professional services. We also offer financing plans for larger scale jobs, to make sure that our services are accessible to as many people as possible.
Get In Touch To Clean Roof Gutters
If you have any further questions or would like to arrange for a member of our expert team to visit your property, don’t hesitate to get in touch. We’ll be able to provide more information, as well as providing a free quote. We can also help with further services, such as roof repair and inspections.